The Amazing Home Birth of Lawrence – 10 pound 4 ounces.

This is a guest blog post from Katy Gearing from our Home Birth Support Group UK. Katy runs Jenni Bean Sling Consultancy CIC and the Thame Sling and Nappy Library.

It is the story of her home birth with her predicted ENORMOUS baby and possible gestational diabetes.

Birth story of Lawrence, born Saturday 12th January 19.

40+6 (NHS dates not mine) at 3.12am as my waters broke, did the dignified waddle to the bathroom to sort and dry no surges as of yet just generally uncomfortable.

Went downstairs to let everyone else sleep for a while, rang the birthing centre to let them know to expect another call for midwives.

My community midwife had said to prompt them to standby two midwives straight away (instead of one then a follow up towards birth)

Pottered around laying the plastic sheeting, gathering towels into my birth space, listening to music, as the surges started, I timed for one hour and they started, and never got any closer than every 4 mins, lasting for 1min. Thinking it was going to be a while, I rang them and explained nothing had changed from when they started. They sent the midwives anyway though, I woke my husband at 4.45am.

First midwife turned up at 5.30am ish, went through my home birth plans, brief note history as I’d had a trust change and the old trust passed very little info over. (It turns out they gave the bare minimum but did diagnose me with gestational diabetes (GD) which I had not been tested for ????).

I asked for an examination as my waters had definitely subsided on flow rate and I needed some sort of progress report to help me gain clarity/control on the measure of pain. (Personal goal).

3cms, with good stretch, midwife asked if I’d like her to “see what she could do” and I agreed (this was completely my choice, I felt no obligation to have a sweep).

5cms were quickly achieved. Which I felt quite deflated at as I was as already 3cms at my midwife appt Thursday.

Went down on my knees leant in to the sofa and just needed to bury my face into the pile of towels. Block everything out.

Started to find them quite unbearable and I became irritable.

Midwife called the second to make sure she was on route, she was. With gas and air! (Yippee!)

Click HERE for more information on National and Local Birth Pool and Tens hire.

She arrived at 6.30am ish, they couldn’t find the “letter of agreement” to my homebirth, so she rang the consultant direct, and after much too-ing and fro-ing with calls she came back in “my” room and I was asked what I knew of the risks of a birth with a bigger baby (at this point I had never been made aware what my babies birth weight estimate was) and I reeled them all off, along with ways to reduce risk, and outcomes should they need to be “fixed” and I asked her HOW will being in a hospital change any of these risks?

Outcome and treatment the same as far as I was concerned….

Between surges I think the midwife realised I was NOT moving to transfer unless it was on my own terms. And agreed to let us go for it. (My hospital has a policy of “if consent is not in writing it doesn’t exist” ???? okay then????)

At this point she went to make a phone call, and I was feeling very out of control. She had made me loose my flow, I asked my husband to call our “if I need to transfer” childcare just in case as I was feeling that I couldn’t manage at home.

I asked for another examination and agreed that if I hadn’t made some progress I would go in. They called for an ambulance for transfer at 7.10am, and both my childcare and ambo turned up within 15 mins.

I remarked about how loud her voice was on the phone and she immediately realised that she was disturbing the “process” and hung up.

They did the VE and I was 7cms with ease. I recalled my consent to transfer. And asked for gas and air.

Feeling no energy to move from the sofa on my back I laid and just gained some energy back through contractions.

At this point I’d developed a small bleed which they checked just before 8am and my cervix altho still 7-8cms was now a little swollen on one area which was causing the bleeding. We had a chat and on the basis of fresh red bleeding, I agreed to transfer.

At no point in this half of the story did I feel it wasn’t my choice though, they asked me what I wanted to do, and reitterated that they didn’t feel the bleeding was significant at this time, but obviously they had to be cautious of progression.

At 8.15am as the stretcher was being unloaded from the ambulance I had the overwhelming urge to roll to my left. I asked to be checked as I felt I NEEDED to push, the cervix hadn’t changed but there was a little lip stuck behind my babies head Which they popped off to avoid injury.

While they sorted their kits to be ready to travel, I rolled to my left (which was the opposite way to aid in getting me off the sofa) I buried my head into the back cushion and just started pushing. No control, no coaching, I couldn’t stop my body from going for it.
The second “risk” midwife (nicknamed as she was always the one coming in to chat the risks) realised I was quiet…..????

I can just remember her saying to the paramedic “we aren’t transferring, can you get the newborn resuscitation kit on standby, baby isn’t waiting”

With 4 long, pushes that pulled everything, stomach and rib muscle I own, babies head was born, no nuchal cord. Relief!

Due to babies predicted size she warned me the next push I gave had to be everything I had just in case. (I knew being on my back on the sofa wasn’t ideal)

So I asked someone to hold my right leg because the gas and air had made my hands weak.

I gripped the back of the sofa and curled myself in two, with the next surge I pushed as hard as I could possible push (which was tbh the first coached push I had given)

And baby Lawrence flew into the world at 8.30am

No shoulder dystocia as they had been so worried would happen…..

If you have a life, birth or other story you will like to share, please contact me HERE. 

Breathed, cried, settled, happy. There was a little more blood than they would have liked, and my placenta didn’t come away as quickly as they wanted (????) so I asked for the cord to be cut so baby could have skin to skin with dad while they sorted me out a little easier.

So Much Love
My boy.

I agreed to transfer once we had all calmed a bit, because ultimately I had got my home Birth, I was happy..

Stood up, placenta dropped out and they checked it over. All present and correct (and huge!)

So we got sorted enough to transfer in, and I was stitched up (not even described in degrees, it was a reopened tear from my previous 7lber baby), and back home within 6hrs.

First night was difficult as he didn’t like working for his food but we had 12 solid hours of skin to skin and the following morning he cracked latching and haven’t looked back.

I admit, I made a lot of changes along the way, and dropped so many of the things I thought I wanted. Including the pool that was sat filled ready to go ???? but once my baby was out. And I could see that I had indeed been right to stay at home despite having a wobble twice, it was the birth I’d wanted all along.

To be in my own home. With support is all I really needed ????

The hypnobirthing, the pool, the quiet, serene, dark room. It didn’t happen. But my birth, that did happen my way was everything I ended up wanting but didn’t realise it at the time. ♥️

Baby Lawrence born Saturday at 10lb 4oz. Even the midwife suggested a stiff drink as I know she was expecting a much different scenario to have unfolded…..????

ETA- I was suspected of having gestational diabetes (although not confirmed), and a BIG baby, please feel free to ask me any questions regarding my pregnancy/birth plans if you want to ♥️

Samantha Says 

What an amazing birth story – a true story of power and that things don’t also go to plan. It is also a story that the transfer in for stitching does not change how amazing it was for Katy to have her home birth. Katy also knew she didn’t need the consultants consent. Thank you for sharing and offer your support to other women in the Home Birth Support Group.

The story of Bobby’s birth at 10 pounds can be found HERE.

For more information and current guidelines on induction – read my blog “Sweeps and Inductions, Inducting Labour, Making Informed Decisions” – HERE and consider joining the facebook group – Induction Of Labour.

For more information on a physiological third stage read HERE.

For more information on birthing with Gestational Diabetes, good resources include, Gestational Diabetes by Deborah Hughes available from AIMs and Sarah Wickham’s website.

Samantha Gadsden walks with women on their life’s journeys. She is an experienced Doula, based close to Cardiff in South Wales, mother to 4 children and wife to Eddie, more information can be found on her facebook page, Samantha Gadsden Doula and her website, Caerphilly DoulaSOS DoulaTelephone and online support is always available.

If you are interested in writing a guest blog or sharing a life or birth story please feel free to contact her HERE.

“Your Journey, Your Body, Your Baby, Your Birth

Neals Yard Organics – MoonCup Affiliate

Photo of Samantha

About Samantha

Samantha Gadsden walks with women on their life’s journeys. She is an experienced Doula, based close to Cardiff in South Wales, mother to 4 children and wife to Eddie, more information can be found on her facebook page, Samantha Gadsden Doula and her website, Caerphilly DoulaSOS DoulaTelephone and online support is always available.

You can also join one of her network of supportive GROUPS.

Leave a comment